Deaf Homeschooling Mom

Friday, September 22, 2006

This is a "recap" post. I was unable to get online for Monday evening and all day Tuesday, which is why I couldn't update this blog this week.

On Monday: My back went out on me. :( I was in too much pain to do my daughter's lessons. The pain did not subside until late that evening.

Tuesday's lessons went well. For science, we talked about how animals were different and I used flash cards and picture books to illustrate hooves/claws/paws/feet, tails, living environments and types of food. Later that day, she told her dad how she learned that some animals, like the dog, are tame, and some, like a lion, are wild. For reading, I read her the book The Cat in the Hat. When she was a baby, it was her favorite book. She asked me to read it so many times. It's still her favorite; I read it to her twice that day.

Wednesday: My daughter normally gets a week-long English packet to do a little work in each day. She completed the whole thing that day, however, I really think I scheduled the lessons at the wrong time of day (late afternoon) and she ended up pushing herself on that packet because she became really grouchy and irritable. She turned into a very unpleasant student, tearing up papers, writing on the table and ignoring her teacher (me). She got her first letter home and she burst into tears when her dad asked her why she did this and why she did that. I felt horrible. :( But I realized I can't let her push herself even if she thinks she can do it because she'll end up feeling overwhelmed. I also think timing is EVERYTHING with these lessons. Earlier in the day might be a better time to do them; she won't be so tired and harried from the long day's activities.

I picked up on this the next day. She was very moody and cranky on Thursday, so we skipped her lessons again this week. I think the breaks are good for her.

Today is "grab bag" day. We are going to go to the store to work on her math skills. No adding and subtracting at this point; just number recognition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home