Deaf Homeschooling Mom

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I am beginning to think that printing out worksheets for Jennifer's homeschooling would be a good idea. Today she wrote me a note: "Come on, Mom! Write something I can actually read!" Apparently, my handwriting was too difficult for her to decipher. Apparently, good old pen and paper just doesn't cut it anymore.

This complaint came on the heels of her trying to read the math problems I wrote out for her. I had to read them to her and she did the math. She aced the problems, just not the reading of them. Heh. It was a combination of multiplication, addition and subtraction problems.

For her spelling, I did a word scramble. I am a big fan of the Jumble puzzles, so it was fun to put that together. She said it was very hard for her to figure out what the words were but she also aced this worksheet, as well.

For her reading, I think it might be a good idea to check on which book she chooses to read. She chose one of the baby's Blue's Clues books. Sigh! I told her she needs to choose from one of her books, one which is more age- and grade-appropriate. She has already read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Maybe I can get her started on Harry Potter or Little House on the Prairie. Or even The Chronicles of Narnia! She has already read ALL of her Junie B. Jones books -- and she has a lot of those!

For physical activity, I took the kids to the park for a half hour.

As for science, I was thinking of doing science for only a few days out of the week: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. But she INSISTED on having a science worksheet. (That's a good sign! Yay!) So I did research on the Internet then put together a worksheet on electromagnetic waves -- the kind that we don't see (like microwave, radio and X-ray waves). She had fun with that! Especially when she tried to figure out what kinds of things we have in the house which use electromagnetic waves. Yet another reminder that I need to print her worksheets out instead of writing them: She circled a string of words that were too close together because she thought they were one sentence, when they were actually a part of a "pick the one that doesn't belong" problem.

I did have plans for a music session -- I read in an article in the September issue of Parents Magazine on ways to create homemade instruments and I wanted to try that -- but we ran out of time. So hopefully we can do that tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home